Sep 28, 2008

Sport - Cricket;Hayden has no plans to retire from ODIs

Dismissing suggestions that he has become a spent force in one-day cricket, Australian opener Matthew Hayden has said he has no plans to retire from the shorter version of the game although national selectors are in jeopardy about his future.
"The big thing is I haven't lost my passion for one-day cricket and while I'm performing there, I'll keep playing it," Hayden was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun.
"The significant part of my decision is whether Matthew Hayden is affecting the team negatively in the run to the World Cup? I don't see that being a consideration yet.
"I'm as motivated now as I've ever been. That's really driving my insatiable appetite for runs," he added.
Recently Hayden's tenure in Australian team has come under scanner with both Shaun Marsh and Shane Watson knocking the doors of the selectors for the opening slot in the run to the 2011 World Cup.
Although Hayden, who will turn 37 next month, remains the first-choice, national selectors Andrew Hilditch, Jamie Cox, David Boon and Merv Hughes are desperate to consult him on the best way to usher in the next generation.
Marsh and Watson have forged a formidable partnership, posting 70-plus stands in three of their first six innings together.
In particular, Marsh, son of former Australian vice-captain Geoff, has been a revelation, averaging 47.57 in his first eight outings in the international arena.
Australian coach Tim Nielsen said the national selectors are planning to sit down with Hayden to discuss his future.
"The selectors will sit down with him and work out where he's moving over the next 12 months and how he'd like to go about that," said Nielsen.

No comments: